[U-Boot] u-boot.lds question

Will Khan willk at optiscan.com
Thu Mar 1 07:06:58 CET 2012

Hi all,
I'm trying to upgrade my u-boot from 16 May 2009 release (out of tree customized version) to the release version December 2011.   I'm a novice with u-boot, but after some hacking, I've had some success, but there are a few questions:

When I build (for powerpc MPC8349), I get the following error at the very end of the build, when it tries to link everything together:

                powerpc-linux-ld: cannot find cpu/mpc83xx/start.o

This error  make sense because start.o is actually located at arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc83xx/start.o.

When I look at u-boot.lds (in the main directory), it shows the incorrect path to start.o.  u-boot.lds is generated through the make all process.  When I manually fix the start.o pathname in u-boot.lds, everything builds fine.  My question is where and how is u-boot.lds generated?  I see where there is also a  u-boot.lds in arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc83xx/, with an explicit path to start.o, but this file seems to not do anything (I can modify the file or delete this specific u-boot.lds, and nothing happens -a new one is not created).  I've also looked through the main Makefile, but perhaps I missed something.  CPUDIR is set appropriately, and I see references to u-boot.lds, but I don't see the information that goes into u-boot.lds.  Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Will Khan
Phone : +61 3 9538-3368
<http://www.optiscan.com<http://www.optiscan.com/>>
This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform us of the mistake by return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of Optiscan Pty Ltd.