[U-Boot] i.MX6: mx6qsabrelite: allow use with Freescale 2.6.38 kernels

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 3 10:33:25 CET 2012

Dear Eric Nelson,

In message <4F515BF1.9030101 at boundarydevices.com> you wrote:

> I think new code is still being written for 2.6.38, so it may be obsolete,
> but not necessarily old.

It definitely is old - Linux mainline has seen 50240 commits
since v2.6.38, with 3243564 lines added and 2329522 removed.

You probably do not want to consider it obsolete yet...  I do. YMMV.

> These small patches will be a big help to those of us who need to
> support both though, and it's not yet clear how long the kernel
> transition will take.

The problem is that these changes will cause additional maintenance
efforts in the future.  I think we have reached a point in time where
new boards that get added should only add support for DT baed
configurations, and get rid of this MACH_ID crap.  Just look at the
number of recent board breakages and need of fixes just because IDs
get dropped from the mach_id database.

I feel efforts would be better invested if they were directed in
improving current mainline kernel code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"When the only  tool  you  have  is  a  hammer,  you  tend  to  treat
everything as if it were a nail."                    - Abraham Maslow