[U-Boot] Broken ecc.size when switching between sw and hw ecc (beagleboard)

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon Mar 5 19:58:35 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 03:00:49PM -0600, Scott Wood wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 06:12 AM, Orjan Friberg wrote:
> > For the beagleboard, ecc.size is not explicitly set when doing 'nandecc
> > sw'.  If it's not set for the NAND_ECC_SOFT case in nand_scan_tail, it's
> > set to 256 bytes.
> >
> > When doing 'nandecc hw', ecc.size is set to 512 bytes.  Hence, when
> > changing back to 'nandecc sw' ecc.size remains at 512 bytes and suddenly
> > the format has changed.
> >

> > It seems the current nandecc command needs to set this explicitly, but
> > also needs to be augmented to be able to select the newly added 4/8-bit
> > BCH ECC.
>
> Yes, that looks like a bug in omap_nand_switch_ecc().

Correct.  And wrt using the new 4/8/16-bit BCH library, that's what I
was starting on when I found the nand dump issue :)

> > But it also seems like nandecc selection should be more generic than for
> > omap3 (currently it lives in arch/arm/cpu/armv7/omap3/board.c).
>
> ECC mode is normally not something that you want to be runtime
> switchable, as changing it usually changes the on-flash format.  It also
> requires driver cooperation -- the actual implementation (as opposed to
> the command-line wrapper) is in drivers/mtd/nand/omap_gpmc.c.

There is unfortunately a long-running saga here and what we have now is
what we have for a number of existing platforms.  Moving forward, things
are better and there's an argument at least for not making ECC mode
switching a run-time command.

--
Tom