[U-Boot] SPI flash writing

Gerlando Falauto gerlando.falauto at keymile.com
Tue Mar 13 19:25:07 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

[I took the liberty to Cc: Mike and Simon as they have provided patches
in the area]

I struggled for a while trying to update a Kirkwood-based board to the
latest u-boot (with Keymile's patches).

As it turned out, our update procedure:

sf probe 0;sf erase 0 50000;sf write ${load_addr_r} 0 ${filesize}

mistakenly expects a maximum size of 0x50000 (327680) bytes for
u-boot.kwb. Sadly, the latest u-boot trunk results in a binary size for
that board which is dangerously close to that limit. Hence, after adding
some innocent lines of code, the update procedure could brick the board
(for no evident reason and with no error message whatsoever) if the
binary size crosses that boundary.

It turns out somebody else also picked up this "magic" number:
http://lacie-nas.org/doku.php?id=uboot#update_u-boot_mainline

And others have bricked their board, most likely for the same reason:
http://www.trimslice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=462

Also, something bad could happen if you make a mistake in the opposite
direction (use too big a number for the write size):
http://sequanux.org/pipermail/lacie-nas/2012-March/000378.html

 From what I can understand, writing into a sector which has not been
erased first is an acceptable behaviour of the flash interface, it will
just set to zero whatever bits are not zero already, without reporting
any error whatsoever.

Even though any change we introduce now would only apply to upgrades
FROM future versions, I think it might be worth fixing this somehow.
I believe several things could be easily done here:

1) a "+" syntax to the "sf update" command so it can be used with
${filesize} as a parameter, and/or some "read,replace,erase,overwrite"
block mechanism for the last (incomplete) block

2) an out-of-boundary-check againts the flash size so at least a warning
is issued when you use too big a size value

3) a command line option ("sf write -v" and/or to "sf update -v"), or an
entirely new command (like "sf writeverify", "sf updateverify") to read
back after writing so to double-check what really ended up being written
to the flash before it's too late.

I'm willing to implement them, but I wanted to hear your thoughts first.

Thanks,
Gerland