[U-Boot] BIOS EMULATOR driver

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 25 20:30:23 CEST 2012

Dear Viktor,

In message <CAJxx_ay7FAz-SJ0k2cBqWd1meVhDqm6vtESy=T6f9rs=KatBhQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm working on one project about bios emulator and I notice that this
> driver is linked for boards P1022DS and sequoia too, but they don't really
> use any methods of it. It's safe to remove this support from configs files?

Are you sure that the code is not used?

sequoia:

#define CONFIG_BIOSEMU                  /* x86 bios emulator for vga bios */
#define CONFIG_ATI_RADEON_FB            /* use radeon framebuffer driver */

P1022DS:

#define CONFIG_BIOSEMU
#define CONFIG_ATI_RADEON_FB

These boards enable the BIOS emulator to initialize the BIOS on ATI
Radeon graphics cards; CONFIG_ATI_RADEON_FB causes that ati_radeon_fb
("drivers/video/ati_radeon_fb.c") gets included; this code calls
(among other things) BootVideoCardBIOS() ...

> Whole this driver is seems to be imported from somewhere and lots of its
> code is unused Actually only one method is used. It's safe to clean this
> too?

If you disable all the graphics code, yes.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable  one
persists  in  trying  to  adapt  the  world to himself. Therefore all
progress depends on the unreasonable man."      - George Bernard Shaw