[U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 27 22:53:50 CEST 2012

Dear Frank,

In message <CADNf2sxrQFDU0LLQWp5huRGgQiKbaLik1+2C=Oj=gjORP6XacA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ported a PPC system to QEMU
> that is capable of booting U-Boot. Similar to the ARM versatilepb
> target, but for PPC instead. I've tried the Bamboo and MPC8544DS but
> it seems they only use stubs to OS calls and parses a DTB for info.

Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
routerstationpro]

> If there's no target supported yet, what about a QEMU target the
> support booting an ARM target in big-endian mode? Big-endian is
> important in order to test some endian dependent code.

If you need BE systems, use PPC.  For ARM, they are just a tiny
minority (so far at least) that I don't think it makes sense to invest
efforts in these.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bradley's Bromide: If computers get too  powerful,  we  can  organize
them into a committee - that will do them in.