[U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot

Frank Svendsbøe frank.svendsboe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:19:11 CEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Scott Wood,
>
>> On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> > Dear Frank,

>> > Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
>> > provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
>> > be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
>> > U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
>> > routerstationpro]
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
>> chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
>> least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
>> anyone having done).  QEMU loads Linux directly.
>>
>> I don't see mpc83xx support in QEMU at all.
>
> Yep, either bamboo or taihu don't boot for me in qemu :-(

Hi Marek,
taihu was my next target to test, so thanks for sparing my time. Next
would be to try to dig up a target called Walnut. Check this:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2008-November/043400.html

I cannot see that QEMU lists walnut as a target. Maybe the patches wasn't sent?

Best regards,
Frank