[U-Boot] uboot and ZFS

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Thu May 3 07:27:09 CEST 2012

>> At first glance, it would suggest that it should be feasible to add ZFS to
>> uboot. But since I only have 'usage-level knowledge' of both boot systems,
>> I am unaware of any show-stoppers.
>
> Oh please study this and submit a patch, I believe at least Pavel (CCed) would
> be glad to see it in :-)
>

> Well the porting might be quite a long run indeed, but basic booting from this
> should not be that hard. Besides the code would be fairy separate, so it should
> be OK.

I took the existing CuBox u-boot, and compiled. Then found the EXT4 patches
done by Siemens, and practised merging that in, compiling, and flashing the
cubox. I can now boot EXT4. So that is encouraging.

Looking at GRUB zfs, it defines similar functions, namely open(), mount(),
read(), close() and list(). So perhaps I can get something done. Is there
quicker ways to test uboot than to flash the hardware every time?

What is the general patch acceptance around, I see ext4 wasn't accepted,
what are the chances my patches would be?

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)