[U-Boot] Getting into u-boot (targetting pc7448)

Frédéric LOCHON F.LOCHON at hirex.fr
Fri May 4 13:25:16 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to build my own system using a powerpc 7448 as CPU.

My system will be quite unusual since the only used devices will be the CPU and an FPGA (eventually connected to some other devices).
My goal is to build some kind of ultra minimal system based on this CPU. Thus, there will be no "chipset" (at least not an usual one).

As I'm not an expert in powerpc or software, my idea was to re-use as many existing "software" projects as reasonably possible, while, if needed, doing assembler/C stuff.

This is why I thought that u-boot was a good starting point to get something working on it (whether it would be a stand-alone application or a full yet minimal OS).

As a first step, I'm trying to get into u-boot to see how minimal my board could be.
My guess is that some timer is needed most likely using some interrupt controller.

Is there any doc mentionning that would answer this kind of question I could rise ?

Thanks.

--
Frédéric Lochon - Ingénieur développement
Hirex Engineering