[U-Boot] uboot and ZFS

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Mon May 7 15:03:05 CEST 2012

> Did you miss my message of Wed, 02 May?
>
> See
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/130638/focus=130671
>
> Unfortunately there is no legal (license-conforming) way to include
> ZFS code into U-Boot and distribute it.
>
> That means, there is no chance to get this added to mainline.

My apologies, I did mean to reply to that.

The reason the GRUB boot loader can only handle single/mirror device root
pool (ie, no raidz) is because Sun did not want to commit "any more than
they had to" to GRUB, which would force the source to GPL.

The source that was written by Sun, for GRUB, is indeed GPL license
(version 2).

I do not see this as a problem, unless suddenly you do not accept GPL
licenses. (like 95% of your existing sources). (2000 .c files out of 2412).

Please advice if this is this not acceptable to u-boot. It does not change
that I want it, so I will simply have to maintain a fork.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)