[U-Boot] how to use u-boot to relocate an executeable to a static address in RAM?

apple pie easter8 at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 02:23:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand, u-boot itself is relocated to RAM by calling
the procedure: relocate_code at the end of the procedure: board_init_f .

There is a need for me to load an executable to a static address (say, 0x82xx_xxxx) in RAM such that
control could be passed to this executable from U-boot. How could this be accomplished, with the
limitation that:

the executeable is to be downloaded together with u-boot.bin, zImage, ramdisk and other images
that are to be be executed before u-boot etc, as a blob onto the eMMC?

Could u-boot be used to relocate the said executable to the address: 0x82xx_xxxx? u-boot does not
have the knowledge where this executable resides in eMMC. This also means that it would not be possible
to use u-boot command: cp (memory copy) to do the relocation, as the command itself requires knowledge
of the source address.

Any comment or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan