[U-Boot] [RFC] Make i2c probe opt-outable?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 18 20:26:59 CEST 2012

Dear Tom Rini,

In message <4FB674CD.8030502 at ti.com> you wrote:

>   But still, the kernel decided i2c probing is dangerous/unreliable,
> maybe we should follow, or at least allow boards to follow?

The kernel is in a very different situation - it is supposed to run on
perfect hardware.

In U-Boot, we have to dead with green hardware that is in a completely
unknown state, or with hardware that _might_ be broken in one way or
another.  For us tools doing low-level accesses are invaluable - even
if they include the risk to hang a system.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Killing is stupid; useless!
	-- McCoy, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8