[U-Boot] Missing mtd device

Michael Moller michael at uvirco.com
Wed May 23 11:57:48 CEST 2012

Hi u-booters

I'm at my wit's end.  I really hope you can help.

I have tried updating the u-boot on a Davinci DM365 based board using
various versions of u-boot, including the latest from the git
repository.

After setting CROSS_COMPILE and configuring with
"make davinci_dm365evm_config", everything builds perfectly.

I then install TI's UBL and u-boot.bin to a Micron NAND flash
(MT29F16G08) using TI's sfh_DM36x.exe flashing utility. I set up the
u-boot environment and boot the kernel, which I compiled from TI's
DVSDK.

Everything boots up fine, except for access to the /dev/mtd? devices.
Also /proc/mtd exists but is empty of devices - it should show the
partitions of the flash chip. Further investigation reveals that the
davinci_nand driver simply returns from platform_driver_probe() with a
ENODEV "No such device" error.

What is the device that is missing, and why does it go missing when I
boot with this u-boot?  What makes some versions of u-boot activate this
device in the kernel and others not?  What is the mechanism by which
u-boot can do such a thing? It seems to be something other than simple
kernel command line parameters. How do I begin even looking for this
problem?

I hope you can help. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Michael