[U-Boot] Detecting board revision that needs to be done after relocation

Andrew E. Mileski andrewm at isoar.ca
Tue May 29 21:13:43 CEST 2012

On 05/28/2012 11:25 PM, Fabio Estevam wrote:

> I need to provide a get_board_rev() function that depends on I2C probe
> of a PMIC to decide between the board revision.
>
> I2C is only available after relocation, so what is the correct way to
> "delay" get_board_rev, so that it gets called only at a time when I2C
> is ready?

I2C is usually available earlier, as it is used to read the SPD on
memory modules.

When I last did it, I had to change U-Boot slightly to support a second
I2C bus, as the bus selection variable was located in flash before
relocation (very old version of U-Boot, so may not apply still).

I've only had a problem using I2C very early in the boot sequence, like
before the system clocks have been setup, then the solution to that was
to just use a GPIO strapping instead for clock selection.

--
Andrew E. Mileski