[U-Boot] R: Re: Question about md output

Anthony Foiani tkil at scrye.com
Wed May 30 07:40:45 CEST 2012

Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> writes:

> Basicly yes, except that the crc32 command does not operate on 32
> bit "words", but on an area of memory (i. e. a number of octets).
> Depending on your expectations on endianess etc. this may or may bot
> be the same.  The "32" in the crc32 command name is just an
> indication for the size of the computed checksum.

I don't know if the usage is the same in German, but in (USA) English
Computer Science, "crc32" most often refers specifically to the
algorithm implemented for Ethernet checksumming (which, with slight
variants is the same used in zlib, u-boot, and many others.)

CRC32 is not the only 32-bit CRC, but it is one of the most popular,
and was chosen for certain desirable properties.

(Wolfgang, I am sure you know all this, I am mostly clarifying for the
original poster.)

Lots of good info here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crc32#Commonly_used_and_standardized_CRCs

Happy hacking!