[U-Boot] analyze/change assembly code

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Tue Nov 20 14:40:03 CET 2012

Hi Marek, Gerlando,

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:26:15 +0100, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:

> > What do you mean it didn't behave properly???? How's that even possible?
>
> The Linaro toolchain had broken libgcc and u-boot pulls in components from this
> libgcc ... thus the breakage.

Marek: I don't know if that is supposed to be a case where Linaro is
supposed to fail, but FWIW, a versatileqemu build performed with the
Linaro ARM gcc version from Ubuntu 12.04 would fail to run whereas built
with the Linaro ARM gcc from Ubuntu 12.10 -- 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro
4.7.2-1ubuntu1) -- it does work. So maybe Linaro fixed their act.

> > A compiler which doesn't translate to assembly and from assembly to
> > binary is by definition a _BROKEN_ compiler

Gerlando, you may have to revise this definition: I think LLVM does
not necessarily translate through assembly language, at least, not
through the target's assembly language, and LLVM assembly language may
count as 'intermediate representation' rather than true 'assembly
language'.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.