[U-Boot] analyze/change assembly code

Gerlando Falauto gerlando.falauto at keymile.com
Tue Nov 20 14:48:03 CET 2012

On 11/20/2012 02:26 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Dear Gerlando Falauto,
>
>> On 11/20/2012 09:54 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
>>> Dear Gerlando Falauto,

>>> What compiler do you use? The Linaro one didn't behave properly for
>>> example.
>>
>> powerpc-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.6.4 20120303 (prerelease)
>> arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc (GCC) 4.6.4 20120303 (prerelease)
>
> Where did you get this from, ELDK or elsewhere?

ELDK, correct.

>> What do you mean it didn't behave properly???? How's that even possible?
>
> The Linaro toolchain had broken libgcc and u-boot pulls in components from this
> libgcc ... thus the breakage.

OK, but... what's that to do with my question?
*WAAAAIIIT*!!!
You mean you suspect my problem might be due to a broken GCC?
No, that was not the case. In the end there was something wrong with
some CPU settings, so the same code executed tons of times was failing
every once in a while. Generated assembly was not wrong, though being
able to refactor it might have been useful in order to identify what
code pattern was likely to fail (e.g. arithmetics on a register read
from memory, unless adding a NOP after the ALU operation -- weirdly
enough, *after* as opposed to *between load and arithmetics*! ).

Anyway, any ideas on how to inspect/manipulate assembly (yes, also for
catching compiler bugs)?

>> A compiler which doesn't translate to assembly and from assembly to
>> binary is by definition a _BROKEN_ compiler, so I strongly doubt that...
>> Or maybe I got you wrong?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Gerlando
>
> Best regards,