[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Wed Oct 10 00:59:11 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:14:23PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 03:32 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

> >> Hmm. Can't "git merge" solve merge conflicts just as well as "git
> >> rebase"?
> >>
> >> The problem with rebasing when pulling is that git commit IDs
> >> change, so it's much more difficult to determine when a commit is
> >> merged into a parent tree; one has to search by commit subject
> >> rather than just executing e.g. git branch -a --contains XXX. I
> >> thought Albert just agreed to use merges rather than rebases for
> >> u-boot-arm for this and perhaps other reasons.
> >
> > The short answer is that right now, u-boot/next follows the
> > linux-next model and we rebase as needed.
>
> I don't quite follow that; linux-next is also purely merge-based. Are
> you referring to the fact that it's re-created every day, and the
> source branches that go into the merge can be rebased if needed?

I'm referring to that it's always rebased on top of Linus' tree.  That's
what caused the issue here, u-boot-usb was based on top of u-boot/next
(which is may not have strictly needed to be) so I did the job of
rebasing for Marek since it was an easy one.

> Instead, I think u-boot/next is just a place where patches get
> applied, or branches get merged, before u-boot/master is open to
> accept new patches for the next release. Unless I'm misunderstanding
> it purpose of course...
>
> Now, having a linux-next style daily merge of u-boot-*/next would be
> pretty awesome.

Well, it's a merge of what people want to get into the next merge
window, as often as they're willing to submit if they are a custodian or
as often as I can otherwise.  In fact, right now some pull requests need
to be on top of next rather than a "stable" point because we're making
some pretty big cleanups and changes in a few areas right now.

--
Tom