[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 13 21:17:57 CEST 2012

Dear Stephen Warren,

In message <50770155.20700 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> and in particular, the following parts of that doc is what tells me that
> committers should always add S-o-b even if the commit didn't change:
>
> >         Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.1
> >
> >         By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:
> >         (c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other
> >             person who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified
> >             it.

No, I think you misinterpret this ;-)

This is intended for cases where the original author of the patch
shall remain unknown for whatever reasons.  Consider some bigger
companies doing a lot of their actual development in low-cost
countries (say, China).  They usually have a ton of developers
workignon such stuff, and only one (or very few) people who
"interface" ith the community.  It is these interface-guys who will
add their SoB based on above rule, meaning: yes, I can certify that
this is Open Source, and even though the original author shall remain
unnamed this can be used freely in this context.

I don't see how you derive fromt hat that a custodian applying a patch
without modifications should add a SoB?  If so, then please explain
where the limits are?  Aplying from a mailbox file from a mailing list?
Or from some archive (say, patchwork)?  Or pulling from some
repository provided by the original author?  Or pulling from a
downstream repository in your own project?

Spinning this to an end consequently, I think we would have to add a
new SoB line to all commits for any git pull we are doing (which
caanot be the intention, and which cannot work).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules.
Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.