[U-Boot] Problem with first use of patman

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon Oct 15 01:53:03 CEST 2012

Hi Albert,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Albert ARIBAUD
<albert.u.boot at aribaud.net> wrote:
> Hello Simon and the list,
>
> I'm trying to start using patman, and -- probably out of sheer
> ignorance -- cannot make it work.

Not a good first experience, sorry!

> I've defined my .patman file with aliases for mvgbe, lacie_kw, arm,
> arm926ejs etc.
>
> I am trying to generate patches from a local branch (which I have made
> available on the u-boot-arm repo as 'add-ws-support') which has two
> commits.
>
> Top commit contains some matman tags, but the error is the without any
> tag.
>
> The complete error is:
>
> albert at lilith:~/src/u-boot-arm$ tools/patman/patman -n -c2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "tools/patman/patman", line 125, in <module>
>     series = patchstream.GetMetaData(options.start, options.count)
>   File "/home/albert/src/u-boot-arm/tools/patman/patchstream.py", line
> 352, in GetMetaData ps.ProcessLine(line)
>   File "/home/albert/src/u-boot-arm/tools/patman/patchstream.py", line
> 190, in ProcessLine self.commit.subject = line
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'subject'
> albert at lilith:~/src/u-boot-arm$
>
> Can Simon (or someone who's already bumped into this error) tell me what
> I'm doing wrong?

I am really not sure about this. I can't seem to repeat the problem
with your branch.

I am pretty sure from your backtrace that it is parsing the 'git log'
output, and seeing a subject before it has seen a commit. It is
possible that your 'git log' output is non-standard? Perhaps you could
post that to the list?

It expects to see:

commit <hash>
Author: ...
Date: ...
<blank line>
    commit subject
<commit lines if any>
commit <hash>
Author ...

You could put a 'print line, self.state' at the top of ProcessLine()
in patchstream.py and that might help me debug it.

Regards,
SImon