[U-Boot] Fwd: u-boot fails at Start.S in P2020

vidya Krishnamoorthy diya8off at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:01:28 CEST 2012

Hi ,

I am using a custom board(VPX Based P2020 board) and try to port latest
uboot in it . The board is similar to xpedite550x board and the technical
specification is shown below

->Processor

    Freescale QorIQ P2020 processor
    Dual PowerPC e500v2 cores at up to 1.2 GHz
    512 kB of shared L2 cache

->Memory

    1 GB of DDR3-600 SDRAM
    128 MB of NOR flash (16-bit)

Through Codewarroier Emulator Tool, We checked the DDR,FLASH,Uart console
and its working fine without any issue.

when we port the latest u-boot (u-boot-2012.07), it fails at _start_cont
(start.S) and cannot get serial console .We took reference of xpedite550x
board file and made similar changes to our customized board file. We even
installed a  patch in start.s file with reference to this website
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/172742/ but still the problem persist.

Please clear the following issues

1. first start.S failed at Terminate call chain line so only we applied
above patch for stack pointer alignment.. Is the patch need to be applied ?
2. After applying the patch , start.S fails at initial entry to
cpu_early_init_f. Is there any stack problem

Because of this we are not getting any characters in COM console. But we
probed the flash CS while poweron boot , processor is keeping bunch of CS(
confirms processor able to access flash)

Attached objdump of our u-boot. In the dump it is failing at fff8004c

fff8004c:       48 00 00 05     bl      fff80050 <_start_cont+0x20>
fff80050:       7d 88 02 a6     mflr    r12

Help us to solve the issue

With regards,

Vidya