[U-Boot] Uncompress error with LZO

Matthias Weißer weisserm at arcor.de
Fri Oct 19 09:43:20 CEST 2012

18.10.2012 19:21, schrieb Tom Rini:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 02:24:20PM +0200, Matthias Wei?er wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I get some misterious errors from time to time when decompressing an
>> LZO compressed image. The output is as follows
>>
>> zmx25> bootm 0x82000000
>> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>>    Image Name:   zmx25-gfx ifs
>>    Image Type:   ARM QNX Kernel Image (lzo compressed)
>>    Data Size:    8181868 Bytes = 7.8 MiB
>>    Load Address: 80000000
>>    Entry Point:  80000000
>>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... LZO: uncompress or overwrite error
>> -5 - must RESET board to recover
>> resetting ...
>>
>> RAM is from 0x80000000 to 0x83ffffff. The image was transfered using
>> TFTP and has an uncompressed size of about 20MB. If I change
>> something in the image so that the compressed data is different it
>> works. If an image is "broken" it is always broken so the behavior
>> is reproducable. I compress the image under windows using:
>
> So you're saying that changing the source image results in good, or bad,
> behavior correct?  Can you try taking a bad source image and using lzop
> on Linux instead?

Right. Small changes in the source image (which is not a linux kernel)
can lead to a corrupted image. lzop under linux can decompress the image
successfully. I also checked if it is possible to compress the image and
make an u-boot image out of the compressed data under linux. This also
worked without problems but when decompressing that image the error is
the same.

lzo1x_decompress_safe from the current linux kernel is the same as that
one used in u-boot.

Any ideas?

Regards
Matthias