[U-Boot] Merging device trees at runtime for module-based systems

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Oct 26 20:21:26 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26.10.2012 02:53, David Gibson wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:46:32PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>> Dear Daniel,

>>> Agreed.

>>> I can't speak for the FDT custodian, but I think this makes a lot of
>>> sense.
>>
>> As a rule I'm happy to see more functionality for libfdt.  I've only
>> seen bits and pieces of this thread, though, so I'd need to see a
>> summary of what exactly is being proposed.
>
> That's strange, as I copied you from the very first posting. Anyway,
> here's the archive:
>
>   http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-October/138227.html
>
> I would especially like to know where such a new functionality should
> live, which data types it should operate on and what would be an
> appropriate name for it.

It seems like this functionality should live in libfdt with its own
tests there. If you are going to merge then you could perhaps also
'unmerge', i.e. given a base fdt and a derivative, create the 'diff'
device tree.

It should probably deal with all nodes/properties - after all the fdt
doesn't really understand data types.

Regards,
Simon