[U-Boot] Custodian branch base commits

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Oct 30 19:55:06 CET 2012

On 10/30/2012 12:50 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Stephen Warren,
>
> In message <50900FED.6040508 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:
>>
>> # (in u-boot-tegra.git, assuming everything is merged already)
>> git checkout master
>> git reset --hard u-boot/master
>
> What would this specific command sequence be good for? [And what
> exactly is "u-boot/master" supposed to be?]

Starting a new branch of development from something in the upstream
repository. Here's we're re-using existing branch name "master" for the
new branch, hence "git reset" rather than "git checkout -b". Resetting
the branch and essentially starting from scratch means creating much
less of a rats-nest of merges in downstream repos.

u-boot/master is the standard git nomenclature for remote u-boot
(assumed to point at git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git) branch master.