[U-Boot] UBIFS fails on SheevaPlug

Vikram Narayanan vikram186 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:27:55 CET 2012

Hello Andreas,

On 10/30/2012 4:32 AM, Andreas Bießmann wrote:
> Dear Vikram Narayanan,
>
> first of all you are right. u-boot ubifs implementation will never
> recover the ubifs on media, cause it is mounted read only.

<snip>

> calls sget() (line 1043)
> which in turn calls kzalloc() (line 67)
> which may return -ENOMEM

I agree. But in Dimax's case this isn't. Right?

> But u-boot will manage to get the data out of the unordered ubifs (if no
> error like this ENOMEM occur). That is the same process as in kernel if
> it is mounted read-only (recovery deferred).

I can't comment on this, unless I know the specifics.

> So if the kernel can manage to mount the unordered ubifs u-boot should
> do so. If it can't (but the kernel can) there is an error that should be
> fixed.

But in the kernel, the read-only isn't hardcoded. So, the kernel code
can try to recover and even update the corrupted data back to the media
and mount it. (It's my guess. The kernel may/mayn't do this way).

But if the same fails to happen in u-boot code, I'd say the feature is
missing and it needs to be pulled in from the kernel code.

Regards,
Vikram