[U-Boot] gpt: GUID/UUID - GPT restoration - open questions - RESEND

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Mon Sep 3 11:28:52 CEST 2012

Hi Stephen,

I'm writing to you, since I've posted a patch series regarding GPT
support for Samsung Trats board (you were on the CC).

e.g. http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/179785/

I think, that we can cooperate to provide better EFI/GPT support.

In mine implementation the "gpt" command (with several sub commands) has
been proposed
- we can discuss if this is a correct way to go.

Moreover, at this patch series a "weak" GUID generator is implemented.
For now it is "good enough", since I consider the restoration as an
emergency situation.
However,I wonder how can we provide better GUID (and in general random
numbers pool) generator for u-boot.

Maybe md5sum command can be used with some running clock (WDT, or
system clock from u-boot start up) data to provide better entropy?

Any ideas?

Regards,
Lukasz

p.s. I'm resending this patch, so please do not regard it as a spam.

> This patch series provides a new command - "gpt" for eMMC partition
> table (in the GPT format) restoration and display.
>
> As a pre-work, some cleanup at the part_efi.c file was performed to
> remove custom macros and make GPT related structures more readable.
>
> The GPT detailed description has been written to README.gpt file.
>
> Tested at:
> 	- Exynos4210 rev.1 - TRATS Samsung development board
>
> Lukasz Majewski (6):
>   gpt:doc: GPT (GUID Partition Table) documentation
>   gpt: Replace the leXX_to_int() calls with ones defined at
>     <compiler.h>
>   gpt: Replacement of GPT structures members with ones indicating
>     endianness and size
>   gpt: Support for GPT (GUID Partition Table) restoration
>   gpt: Support for new "gpt" command
>   gpt: Enable support for GPT partition table restoration at Samsung's
>     Trats
>
>  common/Makefile         |    1 +
>  disk/part_efi.c         |  334
> disk/part_efi.h         |   85 ++++++------ doc/README.gpt
> |  199 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ include/configs/trats.h |   23
> +++- include/part.h          |    2 +
>  create mode 100644 common/cmd_gpt.c
>  create mode 100644 doc/README.gpt

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung Poland R&D Center | Linux Platform Group