[U-Boot] How to manage RMOBILE patches?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 3 21:15:56 CEST 2012

Dear Nobuhiro Iwamatsu,

In message <CABMQnVLBEEjcEtfTzdeThHfTLp=b24QSOgnFjbZr-8YWYTJUhg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am working supporting  Renesas RMOBILE to U-Boot.
> Renesas's RMOBILE SoC family contains an ARM Cortex-A9, and this uses
> the same IP as SH.
> (For example, timer, ether, serial, etc.)
> I already sent to patches of rmobile, I got review from some developers.
> And the patch is managed by the arm/rmobile branch of u-boot-sh[0]
> which I have maintained, now.
> Since I had you take the patch of rmobile into an ARM repository, I
> consulted with Albert about the
> future development approach.
>
> We thought two methods are considered.
> One is Albert picks up a patch from ML to ARM repository,

As this is ARM code, this appears the most natural approach to me.

> Another is whether to have pull from the repository by having a
> repository for rmobile made.

If this is an ARM SoC, then it should go through the ARM repo - even
if we should later decide that there is so much traffic that a
separate rmobile repo would be sustified, thi would still be a
sub-repo, which Albert would pull from.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I am pleased to see that we have differences.  May we together become
greater than the sum of both of us.
	-- Surak of Vulcan, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.4