[U-Boot] ARM Workflow: rebase on ARM repositories

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 3 22:52:16 CEST 2012

Dear Albert,

In message <20120903214729.4f3949e7 at lilith> you wrote:

> > I seriously dislike this for the master branch.
>
> Stefano's reference was about u-boot-arm specifically, and so was my
> comment to it. I do agree with you re: the U-Boot master branch (see
> below for additional notes)

You misunderstand me.  I was referring to the "master" branch of the
"u-boot-arm" repository.  This, like all "master" brnaches in all
custodian repositories, should _never_ get rebased.

> I consider the official U-Boot to be the one which is used for releases,
> and bears labels denoting these. I do not consider official the
> architecture trees because -- as per the current rules -- their
> custodian may rebase them before a pull request, thus cause the very
> trouble Stefano is talking about.

We're discussing to change the current rules, as they make no sense to
me, and to a few others.  And a number of users have been bitten by
these.

I repeat:  rebasing is of for any working branches.  But the master
branches in any of the custodian repos should not get rebased.

> I'll be fine either way. Just note that this policy is at odds with the
> documentation at http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees
> which suggests rebasing, not merging, masters; the doc should be
> changed to match the policy.

Definitely.

> > Not sometimes.  I _always_ use "git pull".
>
> I guess the occasions where I did not see a merge was when it was
> trivialized into a fast-forward, then.

Correct.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To be awake is to be alive.        - Henry David Thoreau, in "Walden"