[U-Boot] How to manage RMOBILE patches?

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Sep 6 22:58:57 CEST 2012

On 09/06/2012 12:28 PM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Nobuhiro,
>
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 08:20:59 +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu
> <iwamatsu at nigauri.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Tom.

>>> To be clear, what I'm saying is just add a few more branches to
>>> u-boot-sh that Albert will pull (since they're ARM stuff).  Say
>>> u-boot-sh/rmobile/master and u-boot-sh/rmobile/next.  Then not get
>>> too hung up on which repository a merge message comes from. :)
>>>

>> I was going to do by how to explain you.
>> However, I think that Albert mistook by my shortage of explanation.
>> Thank you for following up.
>>
>> Nobuhiro
>
> I understand that some ARM patches would be stored in some branch
> (say rmobile/master) of the u-boot-sh repo and pull-requested to me
> from there.
>
> What I still don't understand is *why* this should be done. Before they
> get on this branch, the patches would still have to go through the
> mailing list for review, just like the ARM patches that end up applied
> to u-boot-arm/master, except they'd have to do through an intermediate
> branch. If there are benefits in this, someone will have to lay them
> out for me, because right now I don't see them.

I think the answer is, given how you wish to work, there's not.  It's a
workflow problem only.  If it's no easier for you to get a pull request
from Nobuhiro once the patches have been reviewed than for you to pull
them out of patchwork once they have been reviewed, then since your
preference is for patchwork, via patchwork and into u-boot-arm is how
they'll work.

--
Tom