[U-Boot] Remaining CONFIG_NEEDS_MANUAL_RELOC

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 8 09:10:30 CEST 2012

Dear Marek Vasut,

On 08.09.12 08:36, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I've been pondering if the CONFIG_NEEDS_MANUAL_RELOC is getting away from
> MIPS/NDS32/AVR32/Sparc/M68K any soon.

I started playing around with 'elf relocation' for avr32 beginning this
year when I first saw this dlmalloc relocation warning about aliasing.
But this is not yet finished and disregarded since then.

> We've been having relocation around for a
> while, yet these platforms still don't support it. Currently, the MANUAL_RELOC
> only bloats code all around and usually breaks things that can be nicely cleaned
> up.

I see your point.

> So guys, can you please share your roadmaps for this issue?

I will again look into this later this year. On my roadmap are two major
things.
 a) SPL for AT91 to remove the need for AT91bootstrap
 b) relocation for AVR32

But sorry, I can not give you a schedule for these features.

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann