[U-Boot] Problem booting i.MX6 from parallel NOR flash

Carolyn Smith carolynsmi56 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:41:14 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have a custom i.MX6 board that is configured to boot from 16-bit parallel
NOR flash using non-multiplexed I/O with the data on the upper half of the
data bus. I.e. chip select 0 of the EIM bus should be configured so that
MUM = 0 and DSZ = 010b.

However, the board is coming out of reset (using a BDI3000) with MUM = 1
and DSZ = 001b so multiplexed I/O with the data on the lower half of the
data bus. According to the EIM multiplexing table, this isn't even a valid
configuration.

Further, if I change the EIM_CS0GCR1 register (using the BDI) to force MUM
= 0 and DSZ = 010b, then read from the flash, I can see the correct data on
the bus using a logic analyzer but the BDI always returns 0.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone successfully booted from
parallel NOR flash?

Thanks,
Carolyn