[U-Boot] [STATUS] Going on Sabbatical...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 10 22:45:36 CEST 2012

Dear Friends,

my prolonged silence here probably was indication enough that
something must have happened.  This "something" was that my wife was
afflicted with cancer, which resulted in her death last Friday.
Suddenly I find myself being a single father with a school age
daughter, facing an overwhelming mountain of unknown and untrained
tasks and duties.

I realize that I have no chance of dedicating enough time to the
U-Boot project while I have to reorganize my life - not even close
enough.  It appears more efficient to focus on a few really important
things now, and re-add other tasks as soon as I learned to walk in
this new pair of shoes.

To make the long story short:  I don't have the resources to bring the
pending release of U-Boot forward, and I would like the community to
allow me for a sabbatical for this release, and probably for the next
one, too.

Tom Rini was kind enough to agree to stand in for me as maintainer in
this time.  I really, really appreciate his willingness to help and to
pick up this burden, which is anything but a small one.  Please help
Tom with this new responsibility!

I seriously hope that I will find enough nerves, time, and resources
to pick up this work as soon as possible, but I beg for your
understanding that I cannot tell yet when exactly his will be.

To prevent any kind of rumors:  I have definitely no intentions to
permanently drop U-Boot.  She is one of my babies, and I like her way
too much to be able to do something like that.  But I also know that
she is pretty mature and grown up enough to be able to walk for a
while on her own feet - given sufficient help from you, the community
around it.  I rely on you, please treat her gently and help her to
grow and prosper while I cannot take care of her myself.  Thanks!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all back here, hopefully really
soon.

Thanks!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Do not follow where the path may lead....go instead where there is no
path and leave a trail.