[U-Boot] AR8031 Ethernet on mx6

Dirk Behme dirk.behme at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 07:32:13 CEST 2012

On 15.09.2012 05:06, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I don't have a mx6qarm2 and would like to ask you if you could please
> confirm that Ethernet is functional on mx6qarm2 running the latest
> U-boot.
>
> I am trying to get Ethernet working on mx6qsabresd, which also uses
> the same AR8031 PHY, but it is not working yet.
>
> AR8031 is supposed to output a 125MHz clock to mx6q, but I see a 25MHz
> clock instead.
>
> I do the same PHY init as in mx6qarm2.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

I think a coworker has an ARM2, so I'll try to ask him on Monday.

But while talking about ethernet on MX6: There seems to be a lot of
issues with 1GB ethernet. Or is it just confusion? As I'm no expert on
this, I'm really confused. That means that I don't know if we still
really have some issues with it or not :(

The initial SabreLite boards (revision from September/Octorber last
year?) had a hardware issue with 1GB ethernet. I was told that this
hardware issue is fixed in the latest SabreLite boards with hardware
revision D. But a coworker reports that it looks like GB ethernet even
doesn't work with the U-Boot the SabreLite revision D ships with (?).
Nor a more recent (patched?) U-Boot. I'm not sure if the recent
(unpatched) mainline was tested, though. So this might be an issue of
an U-Boot version which has SW patches for the old, broken ethernet
applied, which now breaks the fixed hardware? Or is there still an
hardware issue? I don't know.

In parallel, there is some rumor that on a Freescale board (SabreAuto?
Have to check on Monday) 1GB doesn't work, too.

As mentioned, this are all reports I got, I haven't done any testing
myself. If anybody could clarify on this, this would be nice.

Many thanks and best regards

Dirk