[U-Boot] using initrd with U-boot on the imx28evk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 18 19:27:46 CEST 2012

Dear Bill,

In message <505875A7.3040001 at techsi.com> you wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for following up.  Over the weekend, I switched to
> using the initramfs within the kernel configuration (in the Freescale
> kernel) and set the source directory to my rootfs that will be the
> ramdrive and it worked great!  So I'll stick with this scenario.  It's
> nice too in that the rootfs (a small one) gets bundled up with the
> kernel (uImage) so its just one file.  So it works out really nice.
> This is a good way for upgrading firmware from the flash.

Actually it's a way that is limited in many respects, and nearly
always there are better solutions.  If just having one file is
important to you, there are other approaches to acchieve the same.
Using a FIT image with U-Boot would be a very flexible and powerful
way (see doc/uImage.FIT/*), but even a simple multi-file image would
do that, and probably better.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The human race is faced with a cruel choice: work  or  daytime  tele-
vision.