[U-Boot] [U-boot] CONFIG_FIT and CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon Aug 26 14:55:09 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:40:27AM +0800, TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn wrote:
> Hi, Rini:
> >CONFIG_FIT and CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT are indeed unrelated options.  You can
> >use DT files with legacy images and plain zImages as well.
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> I also have a question about CONFIG_OF_CONTROL.
> If CONFIG_OF_CONTROL is defined, then Uboot will use FDT to configure
> device.
> But based on README, it said:
> This option is experimental and only available on a few boards.
>
> So, most currently released u-boot binary still didn't use FDT to
> configure device during uboot posting phase?

Correct.  Only a few drivers have been converted at this time.  Frankly,
I would like to see things stabilize within the kernel a bit more, make
sure people really are happy with the bindings they need for a
particular thing, and then we can see about using them again in U-Boot.

> Just use FDT as kernel parameter passed to linux kernel's entry point?

That is one use, yes.  But that may or may not be a recommended way to
store the FDT for a platform (based on some discussion on the
devicetrees mailing list, while there's no formal recommendations yet,
having the shipped with platform FDT be done in such a way that it can
be updated is strongly encouraged, possibly without having to replace
the rest of the firmware as that's seen as a possible way to brick the
hardware).

If you're planning on shipping hardware soon, with a device tree
embedded within it, I would strongly encourage talking with
devicetrees at vger.kernel.org about how to best do it, for your platform.

--
Tom