[U-Boot] am3517: segmentation fault in Linux after upgrading from arago src to mainline u-boot

Andreas Naumann dev at andin.de
Thu Dec 5 17:56:21 CET 2013

Hi Tom,

Am 29.11.2013 12:09, schrieb Yegor Yefremov:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 05:39:09PM +0100, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems with the new u-boot (November 2013) and am3517
>>> SoC. When I start Debian 7.0 armhf I get lots of Segmentation faults,
>>> I can't even perform apt-get udpate. With the older u-boot (arago
>>> sources from 2010) everything seems to work properly.
>>>
>>> I've checked ATAG_MEM and both u-boot versions deliver same RAM start
>>> address and size. I've compared EMIF4 settings
>>> (arch/arm/cpu/armv7/omap3/emif4.c) and PINMUX and everything is the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Where else can I look for differences?
>>
>> Can you bisect the arago tree from what it's based on, to what the top
>> of tree is there?  Some errata or another being patched up I guess..
>
> I've compared the x-loader's init routine with the one from SPL. An
> found this workaround in the mainline U-Boot
> (arch/arm/cpu/armv7/omap3/board.c):
>
> static void omap3_setup_aux_cr(void)
> {
>          /* Workaround for Cortex-A8 errata: #454179 #430973
>           *      Set "IBE" bit
>           *      Set "Disable Branch Size Mispredicts" bit
>           * Workaround for erratum #621766
>           *      Enable L1NEON bit
>           * ACR |= (IBE | DBSM | L1NEON) => ACR |= 0xE0
>           */
>          omap3_update_aux_cr_secure(0xE0, 0);
> }

This is what my thread "ARM: omap3: Add option to disable errata
workarounds." was about. Unfortunately I went on parents leave just
after I found it and didnt follow through on the suggestion given by
Albert ARIBAUD back then
(http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-July/158382.html)
If needed, I wouldnt mind resending a patch in the sense of Alberts
remark 2.

cheers,
Andi