[U-Boot] Creating U-Boot env image

Mats Kärrman Mats.Karrman at tritech.se
Tue Dec 10 12:39:15 CET 2013

Hi Alexey,

on: Monday, December 09, 2013 3:34 PM, Alexey Smishlayev wrote:
> I would like to flash the environment variable values to my board,
> rather than setting them at the prompt. I've founa a tool mkenvimage is
> made specially for that. I used it to create a binary image of the
> U-Boot environment. However, when I flash it to my board, I get the message
> *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
>
> I thought it is due to that redundant memory wasn't written aswell, so I
> commented out #define CONFIG_ENV_REDUND_OFFSET in the
> include/configs/at91sam9g20ek.h, and tried once again, but I'm still
> getting this error.

I can definitely see the use case in producing a complete flash image, e.g. for
production use and maybe be able to select the env image from one of many
depending on some factor.

What you describe should definitely be possible. Are you sure that it's not
something simple like a missmatch in env size?

You could use U-Boots Linux fw_printenv tools and/or dd to read the flashed env
image and perhaps compare it to an image saved by U-Boot to figure out what is
going wrong.

BR // Mats