[U-Boot] booting issue with Atmel SAMA5D31 Evaluation kit

Ron Eggler reggler at semios.com
Fri Dec 13 22:15:54 CET 2013

--
*ron eggler | semios | senior software engineer*
320 - 887 Great Northern Way | Vancouver, BC | V5T 4T5
T | 604 229 2044 ext 105[1]
C | 778 230 9442[2]
E | reggler at semios.com[3]
smart farming[4]
twitter[5] linkedin[6]

> Dear Ron Eggler,
>
> On 12/12/2013 10:22 PM, Ron Eggler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got a SAMA5D31 evaluation kit here, it came with some default
> > application. I started reading through the getting started guide and
> > immediately tried to load my own image - MISTAKE!
> > I started playing around with u-boot trying to get an image from my tftp
> > server loaded but now i realize, that I can't get it to hook up to my
> > LAN. Bad! Because it won't even let me boot the original application
> > anymore.
> > When I boot it and my variables look like this:
> > Warning: failed to set MAC address
>
> your env is missing an ethaddr

Yes, I know, I had set it to some bogus address but that didn't help either...
How can the mac address be missing anyways, shouldn't that be fixed in sillicon?

> > Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> > macb0: PHY present at 0
> > macb0: Starting autonegotiation...
> > macb0: Autonegotiation timed out (status=0x7849)
> > macb0: link down (status: 0x7849)
> > macb0: PHY present at 0
> > macb0: Starting autonegotiation...
> > macb0: Autonegotiation timed out (status=0x7849)
> > macb0: link down (status: 0x7849)
> > Wrong Image Format for bootm command
> > ERROR: can't get kernel image!
> > U-Boot> printenv
> > baudrate=115200
> > bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 ip=${ipaddr} root=/dev/nfs rw
> > nfsroot=${serverip}:/full/path/to/rfs
> > bootcmd=tftp;tftp 21000000 sama5d3x_ek.dtbbootm 22000000 - 21000000
> > bootdelay=1
> > bootfile=uImage-3.6-ts-armv7l
> > ethact=macb0
> > ipaddr=192.168.1.122
> > loadaddr=22000000
> > serverip=192.168.1.121
> > stderr=serial
> > stdin=serial
> > stdout=serial
> >
> > Environment size: 367/131067 bytes
> > U-Boot>
> >
> > What can I do to at least get it to boot the default program again?
>
> Dunno from the given information, maybe it is the missing ethaddr. I can
> confirm that loading data via tftp is working on my d34 device. I think
> Bo has an d31 handy and could help you.
>
> To get the original code onto your device you could use the sam-ba
> application. It's working on Win and Linux, unfortunately not on OS X.
> Just plug the provided USB cable into the J20 on your baseboard (not the
> J-Link!), switch J9 correclty (I think open it), push and hold PB4 and
> push/release PB1, after that sequence startup sam-ba, choose the correct
> interface and the 'at91sama5d3x-ek' board.

I did the key combo when the usb was plugged in and now, not even uboot boots up
anymore, it seems to be completely blank now. When I launch sam-ba as root (on Linux), I
can only select Exit, nothing else is enabled. "Select the connection" seems to be enabled
but is empty, nothing there to choose. Also dmesg doesn't show me anything on powert
reset... what else can I do from here? :o

Thanks,
Ron

> Best regards
>
> Andreas Bießmann