[U-Boot] Notes from the U-Boot BOF Meeting in Geneva 2012/07/12

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 11:40:09 CET 2013

Hi Wolfgang,

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Simon,
>
> In message <CAPnjgZ089gS0gLHBVBVARpX=awcyRUUmSLGNiR4HFkwZZLsL-g at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> > I have started on it - I've ported over the Kbuild infrastructure into a
>> > dedicated 'kbuild' makefile which is called from the main makefile. This
>> > make modifications to the existing makefile very minimal
>> >
>> > Now it's just a case of building all the Kconfig files which is, to say the
>> > least, a massive task. I have a lot of other things going on, so
>> > unfortunately progress is slow
>>
>> I wonder how you got on with that? Any work-in-progress that could be
>> used as a base? Want some help? It seems like a useful feature.
>
> I also wonder if this has to be a one-step change-it-all-at-once
> operation?  Maybe we can add the infrastructure in a neutral way, and
> then start moving code to the Kconfig files step by step - similar to
> what we did with moving Makefile rules out into boards.cfg ?

Alas I do not have access to the code I was working on (study is
buried in stuff) and I really didn't get that far anyway. But, I got
as far as knowing it is possible to run both the current Makefile
infrastructure and the KConfig infrastructure in parallel. The trick
is to create additional Makefiles (Makefile.kc for example). You just
need to add stubs for the KConfig targets (menuconfig, xconfig, etc).

Once the core KConfig Make infrastructure is in place, it's simply (?)
a case of building all the KConfig files

Regards,

Graeme