[U-Boot] imx6, spl and falcon boot

Chaves, Kevin kevin.chaves at thermofisher.com
Tue Feb 19 19:22:56 CET 2013

It's not so much a faster boot I'm looking for but just relying less on uboot to initialize the device. The initial idea by my superiors is make an infallible way to update uboot, since they think they'll screw it up and have to support a field update. So we wanted to make two images with uboot/kernel/rfs, one for recovery and have a way to switch the settings on startup. That way we have a small first stage boot that won't ever need to be updated so long as it can boot from two different partitions.

I realized it probably wasn't that useful to keep uboot around since the spl+falcon will increase the boot time. Figured I could kill two birds with one stone here. Faster boot, and no need to update the bootloader in the field, or at least minimize how much could change in its start up procedure so there is less to "fix" in the future.