[U-Boot] Extract data file from U-Boot image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 25 21:43:55 CEST 2013

Dear Heer Lorcan,

In message <CAHCtDORkcGdgTnTPyJfrxwdpmA=mrFDAJ5rHEzz94gy=wuq1fQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> want to extract files from my  u-boot.bin.
> could you send me the script to do this?

u-boot.bin is a raw binary which does not contain any sort of "files".
You cannot extract what's not there in the first place.  And you
cannot find tools to perform tasks that are impossible.

> why, when building a compiler, interpreter, debugger,
> do the builders always forget to include a file/script to decompile a given
> file made by tools from the same group...
> it's just plain stupid...

Well, that's a prtty strong statement given that 1) you ignore the
netiquette (you top-post / full-quote) and dropped the ML from Cc:,
and 2) you appear to have only very limited understanding of what
u-boot.bin actually is.

There is sufficient tools for all kinds of file manipulation
available, but only for possible manipulations.  It's like mixing
chemicals - for example, once you mixed UDMH and nitrogen tetroxide,
it will be very difficult to find tools to separate (i. e.
"decompile") these again (for several reasons :-)

Some operations are simply irreversible.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
hands and hoping when a rock or a club will do."
                                               - McCloctnik the Lucid