[U-Boot] [IMPORTANT NOTE] License handling

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 30 14:10:16 CEST 2013

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <CALButCK063=8_5pW8fdkHgo8v4Wc7SukDoLpAsOvS-doP_KwRg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The idea would be to reduce the license text in U-Boot to just the
> SPDX-License-Identifier, but we should also provide details on where the
> original file came from. I guess this is the next (harder) step.

Full agreement here.  But actually this has been a requirement for
some time already, see section "Attributing Code, Copyrights, Signing"
(and especially bullet # 4 there) at [1]

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/Patches#Attributing_Code_Copyrights_Sign

OK, this records such information in the git history, but that's
better than nothing.

> Wolfgang: How do you think this should be best handled? I still haven't
> found a definitive reference for the use of SPDX-License-Identifier - are
> there other identifiers which can be used to specify the original source of
> the file?

Well, in my (definitely limited) understanding of the SPDX
specification the "sourceInfo" property appears to be the best fit for
such information - so we could for example define entries
"SPDX-Source-Info" which could contain this - in a T.B.D. format ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of  focus.
- Mark Twain