[U-Boot] [IMPORTANT NOTE] License handling

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 13:00:01 CEST 2013

Hi Masahiro

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com>wrote:

> Hello, Wolfgang.
>

> > - New files being added to U-Boot should no longer include a
> >   multi-line license header; instead, they shall contain a single line
> >   Unique Lincense Identifier, i. e. a line like this:
> >
> >       SPDX-License-Identifier:        GPL-2.0+
>

> I have a question about this.
> Does this rule apply to files imported from other projects?
>
> For example, when adding files that originate from the Linux Kernel
> with modification for U-Boot, should we replace the legacy license
> block with SPDX-License-Identifer?
> Or can we keep the license block untouched

I kind of raised this before - SPDX is not only a way of simplifying the
license text, but also to provide a 'chain of authenticity'.

The idea would be to reduce the license text in U-Boot to just the
SPDX-License-Identifier, but we should also provide details on where the
original file came from. I guess this is the next (harder) step.

Wolfgang: How do you think this should be best handled? I still haven't
found a definitive reference for the use of SPDX-License-Identifier - are
there other identifiers which can be used to specify the original source of
the file?

Regards,

Graeme