[U-Boot] SPDX-License-Identifier: adding a comment section?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jul 28 17:40:02 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I need some help / recommendations how we should handle non-trivial
license issues.  For example, please have a look at the NE2000 network
driver code:

	drivers/net/ne2000.h
	drivers/net/ne2000.c
	drivers/net/ne2000_base.h
	drivers/net/ne2000_base.c

- First, these files include a statement that this code has been
  derived from Linux kernel and from eCOS sources and that it's
  released unter "GPL", but without stating wehter this means GPL-v2
  or GPL-v2+ or whatever.

- Second, it includes the eCOS license header which basically says
  it's GPLv2+ plus some additional rights.

- Third, if you track down the Linux source code mentioned above,
  this again says only "GPL" without additional specification.

Two questions arise:

- What should the resulting license(s) be in this specific case?
  I tend to interpret plain "GPL" as "GPLv2+", so we could probably
  summarize the license terms here as "eCos-2.0".

  What do you think?

- I feel it would be helpful for future investigations if we are able
  to document our current understanding, so we don't have to
  re-investigate all this again and again each time we run into these
  files.  My proposal is to define an additional "magic string"

  	SPDX-License-Comments:

  which could be used to mark a text section that would contain such
  explanations.

  Wound this make sense, or do you have a better suggestion?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Remember that the best relationship is one in  which  your  love  for
each other exceeds your need for each other.             - Dalai Lama