[U-Boot] common/cmd_nand.c license terms

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Mon Jul 29 23:21:16 CEST 2013

On 07/29/2013 03:08:23 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Scott,
>
> In message <1375127231.30721.54 at snotra> you wrote:
> >
> > > Looking at this commit, it is totally unclear to me which parts
> of the
> > > newly added code you could be referring to with your "which are
> not
> > > considered a derived work of GPL v2-only code".
> > >
> > > Your addition makes the legal situation of the whole file pretty
> much
> > > indeterminable.  Could you please be so kind and explain what
> exactly
> > > your intention was, and what exactly yuou were referring to?
> >
> > The license of the whole file is GPLv2 only.  The intent was to
>
> Is it?  Why so?  It appears that the first versions of that file did
> not include any license header at all, which means they were
> contributed under the project-wide GPLv2+ license.
>
> Only your commit added - 7 years later! - a GPLv2 only license header,
> and I really wonder what the base for this change would be?

Hmm...  The same text appears in drivers/mtd/nand/nand_util.c, which
does have a pre-existing v2-only header.  I probably applied it to
cmd_nand.c as well because it was unclear whether the existing code was
also v2-only.

The project-wide COPYING did not have the "or later" language until Jan
9 2011 (commit b9347188729992ef8282a2854889d8dcc25175aa), so it's not
clear to me that the project-wide license was GPLv2+ at the time that
the older cmd_nand.c code was submitted, or even at the time that I
added the above text.

-Scott