[U-Boot] Merge Window close date

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 18 23:30:21 CEST 2013

Dear Masahiro Yamada,

In message <20130618143710.7439.AA925319 at jp.panasonic.com> you wrote:

> If I see http://www.denx.de/wiki/rdiff/U-Boot/ReleaseCycle,
> you changed the merge window status from open to closed
> at Jun 14 (r1.95).

Correct.  I fixed the page by making theedit that was forgotten when
the MW was closed.

> You mean, the merge windows closed at May 11,
> and Release Cycle page continued to provide the false
> information from May 11 to Jun 14. Right?

No.  We forgot to edit this part of the page, so the end of the MW was
that of the previous release.  This error is even older than May 11.

> If Release Cycle page is unreliable,
> where can I know the current merge window status?

Come on, please be fair.  It's humans (in this case me) who can make
errors, in in this case I missed to edit a line of text.  This is bad
and should not happen, but it can happen.  You are the first to
notice...

If you go further back in the version history of the page you can see
the original release plan.  In this case, we even shifted the end of
the MW by a few days, as you can see here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/159294

In general, the release schedule is based on very simple arithmetics:

- We release every 3 months.

- As release date we chose a Monday around mid-month.

- The merge window ends at Release Date + 19 days, i. e. on the
  Saturday in the 2nd week after the release.

Please don't hesitate toask if there are still any remaining doubts
about the U-Boot release schedule.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.