[U-Boot] Merge Window close date

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Wed Jun 19 10:19:14 CEST 2013

Hi Masahiro,

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:54:27 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> How strict is the MW rule in U-Boot development?
>
> I can't say for sure because I'm quite new here,
> but the development looks (at least to me)
> to keep going regardless of the MW status.

To sum up things (anyone correct me as needed):

- patches submitted within the merge window will be included in the
  upcoming release ('master' branch); patches submitted outside the
  merge window are scheduled for the release after ('next' branch).

- if V1 of a patch has initially been submitted during the merge window,
  then subsequent versions (V2, V3...) can be submitted after the merge
  window is closed, and will still be considered for inclusion in the
  upcoming (master branch) release.

- if a bugfix patch is submitted outside the merge window, it will be
  included in the upcoming (master branch) release.

- at the custodians' discretion, a non-bugfix patch submitted outside
  the merge window might still end in the upcoming release depending
  on its importance and impact.

- the nearer the release day, the lesser the chances that a patch
  submitted outside the merge window gets applied -- IOW, patches
  accepted between the last -rc and the release will only be critical
  bugfixes with a very controlled impact.

Therefore, you may see patches being submitted, discussed and applied
at any time, within or outside the merge window; the only difference
being xhich branch the patch goes to when/if applied.

> Best Regards
> Masahiro Yamada

Amicalement,
--