[U-Boot] AM335x: enabling datacache in SPL slows down system?

Bas van den Berg bas.van.den.berg at alten.nl
Thu Jun 20 10:05:23 CEST 2013

I'm trying to optimize the boottime for an AM335x based board. Currently
we're loading the kernel from SPL directly (falcon mode). Loading the kernel
from flash to ram takes roughly 3 seconds.
When doing this from U-boot itself with 'nand read .., it only takes 1.8 seconds.
It seems that U-boot has data_cache enabled, while SPL did not.

When enabling the data cache with dcache_enable(), loading takes 3.5 seconds,
so even slower! The enabling itself does not take a significant amount of time.

Anyone have any idea why enabling the data cache slows SPL down?
Or does U-boot do anything else that I'm missing?

Bas