[U-Boot] U-Boot Digest, Vol 61, Issue 36

Daniel Schwierzeck daniel.schwierzeck at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 16:49:28 CEST 2013

2013/6/26 krishna dwivedi <krishna.dwivedi01 at gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> Hope everyone is doing great:)
>
> I am trying to build U-boot:2013-04.But running into this error:
> mips64-nlm-elf-ld: arch/mips/cpu/mips64/start.o: relocation (null) against
> `board_init_f' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with
> -fPIC
> arch/mips/cpu/mips64/start.o: could not read symbols: Bad value.
>

> Initially,In file arch/mips/config.mk,I commented the flag:
> #LDFLAGS_FINAL                   +=  -pie
> This error resolved.But after relocation of u-boot code,we need this
> flag.So i need to uncomment this flag.and again i am running into this
> error agian.
>
> Anyone faced this issue earlier.Anyone please provide pointers to resolve
> this.

try other toolchains!

Searching for mips64-nlm-elf reveals some mailing threads where other
users complaining about linker errors.
Also the gcc and binutils of that toolchain are rather old.

The reference toolchain for U-Boot is ELDK-5.3 [1] which has been
extensively tested with PIE
and automatic relocation.

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5

Daniel