[U-Boot] Support of Beagleboard-xm

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Mar 28 21:04:13 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:52:04PM +0800, Dashi Cao wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have got a Beagleboard-xm, and I'm feeling that saving environment
> variable is an issue because this board has no NAND.
>
> U-Boot supports environment variable file located in a FAT file system.
> So I set out and made a new board omap3_beagle-xm, copied from
> omap3_beagle, but with environment file on the FAT of the microSD.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm just reinventing the wheel!

An interesting concept and one I've thought about doing myself at some
point, so thanks!  There's a better way to do this however.  You can
have boards.cfg take a base config file (say omap3_beagle) and add
additional defines (say CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FAT) for a specific build
target (omap3_beagle_env_fat) and not have to copy all of the other
files.  Then just modify omap3_beagle.h with:
#ifdef CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FAT
#undef CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_NAND
#define FAT_FILE ...
#endif

And be set, more or less.  And don't re-use the name uEnv.txt please.
How about u-boot-env.txt ?  And we shouldn't need to populate to start
with, I hope at least, it should just be OK until the first saveenv
happens.

--
Tom